Monday, September 29, 2014

"HELLO. My Name is CHRISTIAN."

Juliet:  "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet."

Good question . . . what is in a name? Do they really matter? Juliet's point was that they don't . . . or at least not in this particular case - and I would have to agree. She was in love with Romeo regardless of his family name and heritage.

But, "names" . . . do they matter? You know, in the grand scheme of things, who you are and that by which you identify yourself . . . does it matter.

I'm reminded of the Disney movie "The Lion King" as Simba is somewhat lost as to his identity and purpose in life. He has a vision of his dead father in the night sky who tells him to remember who he is . . . that he is more than he has become.

Our identity matters. Who we are and whom we become as we fulfill our purpose in life matters. Scripture tells us in Proverbs 22:1 that a good name is more desirable than great riches.

Maybe it's less about the name itself and more about what lies behind that name. Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere. Shakespeare was right to ask "What's in a name?" . . . after-all, the name itself (just the word) bears little significance unless it is connected to that which it refers. Thus, he could proclaim through Juliet: "That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Last Sunday, during the sermon, our Minister asked those who bear the name "Christian" to raise their hand. It was a rather easy exercise. There was no animosity, no glaring looks or challenges, no threat. We were in a worship gathering surrounded by others who claim the name "Christian." Not much to it really.

As I pondered that raising of the hand . . . identifying myself with Jesus, as a Christ follower, a Christian, I couldn't help but think of those around the world who are faced with that same challenge, but in very different circumstances.

Although the name "Christian" is at times looked upon with disdain in our culture (often with good reason), it is hardly comparable to the persecution that occurs around the globe to those who openly bear the name of Christ. Indeed, in some places, if believers were asked to raise their hand identifying themselves as "Christian," at the very least, they would be ostracized and in many places they would be imprisoned, tortured, and/or put to death.

Certainly, our identity matters. The name we bear matters.

I also could not help but wonder . . . if I were asked to raise my hand and the circumstances were different . . . would I? Would I raise my hand? Would I acknowledge that I bear the name of Christ? Would I say, "I'm a Christian"? You know . . . when it really matters.

Difficult questions. I would hope that if that time ever came, I would stand firm in my faith unashamed of the message of Christ and the name that I bear as His follower.

I've seen many on social media "standing" in solidarity with the Christians persecuted by ISIS in Iraq as they were marked with the Arabic "ن" [N] which stood for "Nazarene" and identified them as "Christian."

Many of my FB friends were changing their profile pictures to the image. You can even purchase T-shirts with the letter on the front. Hashtags of #WeAreN and #IAmN abounded.  I'm not critical of this, I think it's encouraging and emboldening. Not much different than the red box with the "=" sign that showed up not too long ago. At least people appear to be willing to stand up for what they say they believe in.

Again, I begin to wonder . . . would these same folks (would I for that matter) be willing to mark ourselves with the "N" if we lived in Mosul, Iraq?  After all . . . What's in a name? Right? Hmm . . . maybe there's more to a name than Shakespeare thought.

Would we be willing to suffer for the name we bear? Tough questions . . . but important to think about. Especially in light of the recent beheading in Oklahoma, I can't help but wonder where the future will lead in this country when in comes to acts of terrorism and persecution.

I've been pondering this text for a few days now:


"If anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed,
but is to glorify God in this name."  [1 Peter 4:16; NASB]

We live such BLESSED lives in these United States . . . We have no accurate frame of reference really for the brutality perpetrated on others simply for holding to their faith in Jesus and bearing that name.

At least I don't.

But . . . it is my hope and my prayer that as I live out my life bearing the name "Christian" -- that I would glorify God in this name; that I would not have taken the name of the Lord in vain.

"Hello.  My name is . . . CHRISTIAN."





You can learn more about the persecuted church around the world by visiting Voice of the Martyrs.


No comments: