Thursday, September 11, 2014

Running The Rugged Red

2014 Rugged Red
Back in the spring, while looking through some Half-Marathon races, I came across The Rugged Red Trail Half-Marathon . . . 13.1 miles in the Red River Gorge.  I really don't even remember where I first found out about it, but it intrigued me so much that I registered the same day.

At that time, I'd NEVER run a trail in my life . . . I was the quintessential trail-running newbie.  I had no idea what trail running was like, but I knew that this one was for me.

I love spending time in the outdoors, but more than just being outside - being in the woods - hunting, hiking, camping, canoeing, kayaking . . . sitting around a bon-fire . . . I love it! So, trail-running in the Red River Gorge was right up my alley.

This past Saturday, September 6, 2014, was the inaugural running of The Rugged Red.  I must say that it lived up to its name.  It was indeed RUGGED.


Although I'd trained on every portion of the trail, it was still unbelievably challenging.  I knew it would be, but that day was particularly warm and very humid.  Of the approximate 380 people running it, only 261 posted times, before the cut-off and some didn't finish due to injury and/or exhaustion.

The run began in waves of about 50 making our way down Chimney Top Road . . . a chipped gravel road for the first 1.7mi before entering the Rough Trail.  From that point it was all trail until the last .2mi at the end coming out of Bison Way Trail to 715 past the barn at the Gladie Cultural-Environmental Learning Center, over a small bridge and through the finish.


The trail was beautiful and brutal
having about 2000 feet of elevation gain over the 13.1mi course.

Photo from www.theclockneverstops-jonathan.blogspot.com

Once we entered Rough trail, we quickly descended into the gorge dropping about 450 feet to cross a creek and then immediately begin the ascent.  Within the first 6 miles, there was little to no recovery time between the descents and the ascents.

The mid-point brought me to about 2 miles of terrain on which I could find a bit of recovery just before reaching the swinging-bridge that led up to 715.  From that point there continued undulations of varying difficulty with breathtaking rock cliffs, small waterfalls, and, in many places, a carpet of ferns . . . all of which added beauty to the ruggedness of The Red.

By mile 11, I was struggling to keep my feet moving.  My calves cramped (yes, BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!) requiring me to stop and do some stretching and massaging.  The final climb is brutal especially after enduring 11.5 miles of Rugged Red terrain.  It is a steep ascent over sandstone boulders.  I passed several people who had just sat down unable to will themselves forward.  My calves, hamstrings, and quads were screaming, but I pushed forward actually "bear-crawling" up one boulder.

At the top, you arrive at Indian Arch and take a man-made staircase down to the next portion of the trail leading to Bison Way.  During the decent on Bison Way to the finish, both my quads began to cramp at the same time . . . again requiring that I stop to stretch and massage.

I pushed forward to the finish-line feeling a bit delirious needing to stop, but feeling the urge to keep moving.  Finally, I lay on the ground struggling to recover . . . rehydrating, eating, stretching, massaging, icing my quads and calves.

The Rugged Red was probably the most physically and emotionally challenging experience that I've ever endured.  My goal time was to come in under 3 hours . . . my official time was 03:18:57.  I placed 125th overall and 13th in my age division (40-44)

Disappointed?  Not at all!  I'm already looking forward to next year!




Here are a few links to learn more:

The Rugged Red's Facebook page
The Rugged Red's Website


4 comments:

Chainring said...

Congrats! Going to do it next year?

Seth Lawson said...

Yes! I'm ready to register ASAP. Loved it!

Jonathan said...

Nice recap! Are we crazy to already be thinking about next year?!?!

I totally felt your pain with the numerous double leg cramps. Way to push through the pain and finish!

Seth Lawson said...

Yes ... Maybe just a little crazy, but you gotta' be to truly enjoy The Rugged Red.