Monday, August 25, 2014

The Trails Are Calling

The Swinging Bridge
I'm less than two weeks out from 13.1 miles in Red River Gorge . . . September 6th is The Rugged Red.  This trail-running thing is quickly becoming the one of the highlights of my week.  Of course I have several things that trump running the trails (aka: spending any time with my wife and kids), but this new hobby is a great way for me to enjoy the outdoors, stay/get in shape, and challenge myself physically and mentally.

Last Saturday was one of those physical and mental challenges.  I decided to cover the upper half of The Rugged Red course (which I hadn't been on yet) and also to make it my longest trail run yet.

I began at Gladie Cultural-Environment Learning Center upper parking lot, ran the road to Bison Way Trail, followed Bison Way turning left onto Sheltowee Trace, and headed back into the Gorge toward Rough Trail . . . at about 7 miles in I turned around and headed back completing 13.85mi!
Top half of The Rugged Red

I knew there was one last climb on Sheltowee Trace before it meets Bison Way (on the way back) and I wanted to feel what that would be like on race day.  My legs and lungs were screaming by the time I was finished . . . what doesn't kill ya' makes ya' stronger . . . at least that's what "they" say.

It had rained significantly the day before and the trail was wet and muddy with standing water in some places with a couple of freshly downed trees.  The creeks were up and two waterfalls were cascading off rock ledges . . . the trail was beautiful!  Wildlife was all around . . . turkey, squirrels, pileated woodpeckers, Deer . . . DEER FLIES -- those things bite!  Good motivation to keep moving.




I've always loved spending time in nature hunting, hiking, exploring . . . the beauty and grandeur of creation never ceases to amaze me.  It speaks to me . . . volumes.

"They speak without a sound or word; their voice is never heard. Yet their message has gone throughout the earth, and their words to all the world."
[Psalm 19:3-4; NLT]


Red River Gorge:  Indian Arch
The art, whether music, painting, sculpture, architecture, etc . . . always reveals  the person/character of the artist/designer.  All of creation sings the glory of the Creator. "Day to day pours forth speech, night to night reveals knowledge" [Psalm 19:2]. "His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made" [Romans 1:20].

I guess that's the main reason I enjoy being in the outdoors so much and why trail-running has become such a great source of pleasure for me. It prompts me to respond from deep within . . . worshiping as I take in the grandeur of what is around me.

"O Lord, our Lord, How majestic is Your name in all the earth." [Psalm 8]


Experiencing the beauty of nature is a blessing that most of us take for granted.  We live such busy, fast-paced lives flitting from one activity to another barely able to pause for a deep breath let alone a deep look.

Be purposeful. Take the time. Pause and take a deep look and experience the beauty and grandeur of all that has been made.  While you do . . . listen closely and you will hear it speak . . . volumes.







Worship Minister, Gateway Christian Church - www.gcch3.com

No comments: