Monday, August 18, 2014

Chronicles of a Trail-Runner-Newbie

Morning on the Trail
I've enjoyed running since 2010 when I completed my first half-marathon.  Over the past 4 years, I've run off and on and typically gone too far too soon and ended up with a layoff due to an overuse injury . . . IT-Band Syndrome, Peroneal Tendinitis, ruptured lining between my heel bone and whatever the other bone is called that meets up with that one.

After almost a year off from running, I began easing back into it and then . . . it happened.
I signed up for a half-marathon . . . only this time is was 13.1 miles in the Red River Gorge.  I know, I know . . . what was I thinking?!  What happened to easing back into things?!

Well, I'm 3 weeks out from The Rugged Red and getting more excited as the date gets closer. Things are going well. Training is difficult at times . . . especially my first run in the Gorge covering the lower half of the course.  When they decided to call it the RUGGED red, they weren't kidding!  But . . . I loved it.  Trail running has become my latest fascination (to which my wife can attest . . . she's getting tired of hearing about it).

Beautiful view from one of the trails on the course

I've completed two training runs on the course over the past two weekends and both have been very challenging and rewarding.  What I've learned as a "trail-running-newbie" is that while the descents are difficult and rather technical when it comes to speed control and foot placement, the climbs are my nemesis.  I am ill prepared for them and they are killer (for me anyway) in the first half of this course.  I'll just be doing my best and loving every minute of it . . . as my quads, calves, hammies, and glutes burn and I struggle to breathe (sounds fun, huh).

So, I've done some searching to help me with my climbing "skills" and here's some advice that made sense to me (remember, I'm a newbie):

Don't Tweak your Ankle
  • Never stop on an uphill: You lose momentum every time you stop or switch back and forth between walk & run. The energy cost being greater when going from rest to movement than if you had simply kept moving. Whether you are running or walking, dial in a constant steady rhythm that is easy to maintain from bottom to top and hold it. You should also consider there are instances when walking is just as fast as running & much less exhausting. Go as slow as you need to so that you never have to stop on a climb.

  • Stride & Cadence: A shorter stride and higher cadence is essential. If you over-stride while climbing, the energy cost will be high and burnout likely, leaving you overworked and exhausted. Pretend you’re on a bike: then drop into Granny Gear. The increased turnover (cadence) and short stride can be sustained much longer than a long inefficient stride. It will also be easier to maintain a steady rhythm. The goal is to negotiate a climb as efficiently as possible with little change in your running rhythm.

  • Posture: This might be the most ignored and the most important concept to master. When you see pictures of large groups of runners climbing a steep hill, they are all in various shapes of bent from strait up to the ungainly ‘S’ (butt out & head down). This is the typical incorrect position: head down while grunting up the hill. This inefficient S-body form reduces air flow to the lungs as well as not allowing the lungs to open to full volume. If you’re looking at your feet, you’re also putting a lot of strain on the lower back. To optimize air flow into your lungs & reduce back pain, keep an erect posture, head up, eyes focused ahead, and lean slightly forward into the hill.

  • Fall Up the Hill:  There’s a saying that running is a controlled fall. Keeping your center of gravity powering forward is helpful for form and momentum - but for hills, visualize your momentum on an upward trajectory and fall up the hill.

Love the Trails
I'll be trying to remember these and implement them in my runs leading up The Rugged Red and hopefully increase my climbing abilities.

While I know I'm not going to be competitive - as demonstrated by the level of fitness of those who ran in the group run this past weekend - I love the challenge and will be "competing" against myself and in the "long-run" will be better for it.

Here are some links to the sources I discovered for additional info and tips for climbing in trail-running:



Off Road Pursuits
Endurance Buzz
RagnerTrail







Worship Minister, Gateway Christian Church - www.gcch3.com

No comments: