Monday, August 11, 2014

Spiritual Myopia

Sitting down this afternoon to plan out worship sets for this Sunday morning . . . struggling a bit.  My mind is constantly invaded . . . distracted by this heart-ache that punches me in the gut.  So, I thought I'd post my thoughts.

I have this emotion that gurgles up from deep within as I consider that families are dislodged from their homes, beaten and abused, raped and murdered . . . men, women, and children tortured, gunned down, and/or beheaded . . . and even worse . . . if you can imagine.

My mind goes directly to the cry of those under the alter as the 5th seal of Revelation 6 is opened:


". . . they cried out with a loud voice, saying,
How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain
from judging and avenging our blood on those
who dwell on the earth?” [Revelation 6:10; NAS]


"How long, O Lord?"  . . . a profound question for those who suffer - a profound question for those who are witness to such suffering.

The text is fresh on my heart since I preached a message that covered this verse just a few short weeks ago.  In that message, I mentioned the atrocities perpetrated by the Boko Haram in Nigeria and the persecution there.  And . . . the importance for us to be informed about the suffering that takes place around the world.

As the Body of Christ, we are admonished to continue to remember those in prison and those who are mistreated/persecuted as though we were suffering with them. [Hebrews 13:3; NIV]

It is SO EASY for us to become narrow in our focus . . . spiritually myopic . . . so that we only recognize those things that happen in our little corner of the world.  The picture is SO MUCH bigger than just us and our pursuit of the American Dream. 

As I ache for those around the world who are enduring suffering beyond my comprehension, I realize that I have no accurate frame of reference. Suddenly, all of my sorrows . . . all of my "problems" . . . all of my "O, God help me's" . . . seem to pale in comparison.

All of my thoughts of "what are we going to sing this Sunday", "what songs/hymns will fit well with the theme for the day", "what about drama/media elements", "there are bulbs out in the stage-lights . . . I need to replace those this week", "one of the mics keeps dropping signal . . . I need to fix that this week", "Christmas is on it's way . . . what program should we put together: choir, drama, monologues, soloist, staging" . . . while necessary since it is my job/ministry . . . it all seems so trivial.

I wonder what these families who are enduring such deep suffering will be doing this Sunday morning? and in the weeks/months to come . . . mourning/grieving/hiding/praying/weeping.

My heart cries out from within:  "How long, O Lord?"

And, yet I know that even in the smallness of my own little world, I know that somehow God not only sees and cares, more than words can express, about the suffering of His people . . . He also sees and cares about the things in my life . . . no matter how trivial they may seem.


"Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them;
and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body."

How can we suffer with them if we don't make ourselves aware of those who suffer for their commitment to Jesus.  My challenge to you (and myself) is to make yourself aware. May God give us eyes to see beyond ourselves so as to see the suffering of others . . . not only those across the ocean, but yes, even those just down the street.


_______________________

Here are a few resources:

Voice of the Martyrs
Open Doors
Persecution Blog
Voice of the Martyrs - Get Involved








Worship Minister, Gateway Christian Church - www.gcch3.com

No comments: